AMENDMENT OF THE CONVENTION OR PROTOCOLS
1. Amendments to this Convention may be proposed by any Contracting Party. Amendments to any Protocol may be proposed by any Party to that Protocol.
2. Amendments to this Convention shall be adopted at a meeting of the Conference of the Parties. Amendments to any Protocol shall be adopted at a meeting of the Parties to the Protocol in question. The text of any proposed amendment to this Convention or to any Protocol, except as may otherwise be provided in such Protocol, shall be communicated to the Parties to the instrument in question by the secretariat at least six months before the meeting at which it is proposed for adoption. The secretariat shall also communicate proposed amendments to the signatories to this Convention for information.
3. The Parties shall make every effort to reach agreement on any proposed amendment to this Convention or to any Protocol by consensus. If all efforts at consensus have been exhausted, and no agreement reached, the amendment shall as a last resort be adopted by a two-thirds majority vote of the Parties to the instrument in question present and voting at the meeting, and shall be submitted by the Depositary to all Parties for ratification, acceptance or approval.
4. Ratification, acceptance or approval of amendments shall be notified to the Depositary in writing. Amendments adopted in accordance with paragraph 3 shall enter into force among Parties having accepted them on the 90th day after the deposit of instruments of ratification, acceptance or approval by at least two-thirds of the Contracting Parties to this Convention or of the Parties to the Protocol concerned, except as may otherwise be provided in such Protocol. Thereafter the amendments shall enter into force for any other Party on the 90th day after that Party deposits its instrument of ratification, acceptance or approval of the amendments.
5. For the purposes of this Article, 'Parties present and voting` means Parties present and casting an affirmative or negative vote.