SETTLEMENT OF DISPUTES
1. In the event of a dispute between Contracting Parties concerning the interpretation or application of this Convention, the parties concerned shall seek solution by negotiation.
2. If the parties concerned cannot reach agreement by negotiation, they may jointly seek the good offices of, or request mediation by, a third party.
3. When ratifying, accepting, approving or acceding to this Convention, or at any time thereafter, a State or regional economic integration organization may declare in writing to the depositary that for a dispute not resolved in accordance with paragraph 1 or 2, it accepts one or both of the following means of dispute settlement as compulsory:
(a) arbitration in accordance with the procedure laid down in Part 1 of Annex II;
(b) submission of the dispute to the International Court of Justice.
4. If the parties to the dispute have not, in accordance with paragraph 3, accepted the same or any procedure, the dispute shall be submitted to conciliation in accordance with Part 2 of Annex II unless the Parties otherwise agree.
5. The provisions of this Article shall apply with respect to any protocol except as otherwise provided in the Protocol concerned.